Wednesday 29 April 2015

Corn meal idiyappam





Well...!!! The story goes like this. I was running in short of corn flour and asked my hubby to bring 1 pack of it. He, by mistake, bought 'Corn Meal' instead of 'Corn flour'. It looked almost similar to gram flour. I came to know it is healthier than corn flour as it is very natural. So, I used it for making koftas. But was not very happy with it. So, I was just googling about it and things to do with it. Found nothing as per my preference. Then, it was my hubby, who is a big idiyappam fan, gave this awesome idea. He, of course was joking about this, but I took it serious and simply gave a try. Both me and my darling hubby liked it very much. A biig thanks for my hubby, for bringing me this stuff and especially for giving this awesome idea.

I have used some rice flour to bring out a nice texture to these idiyappams. It makes a very healthy breakfast or dinner menu.



Ingredients

  • Corn meal - 1 cup
  • Rice flour - 1/2 cup
  • Salt - as per taste
  • Water - 1.5 cup (or as required to knead the dough)
  • Oil - 1/2 tsp
  • Oil for greasing idli molds

Method

  • In a pan, dry roast the corn meal. Keep stirring it continuously. Roast until you get a good aroma out of it. It will take up to 5 minutes. Keep the heat in medium.

  • Turn off the heat and add the rice flour. Mix well and keep it aside
 
  •  Bring 1.5 cup of water to boil. Add salt and oil. It should boil really well. 
 
  • Pour this water to the flour, slowly, continuously mixing and make sure that the water should not be added too much. Also, do not add cold water. So, boil some extra water in the begining.
 
  • Make this to a smooth dough
 
  • Cover and let it rest for 10 minutes
  • Grease your idli molds with oil
 
  • Divide the dough in to 2 equal portions and fill your idiyappam press with this dough. Use the one with small holes.
 
  • Press it in a circular motion on idli plate in the form of long strings. 
 
  • Stake them in a steamer and steam for 8-10 minutes in a medium heat.
 
  • Serve hot with chutney or sweet coconut milk or any coconut based curry.



 
 SERVE




No comments:

Post a Comment